Wednesday, December 10, 1997
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
LAUC-LA room, URL
PRESENT: K. Botello (Chair), S. Fry (Vice-Chair), H. Walker (Past Chair),
K. Dabbour (Secretary), A. Atchison, N. Corral, J. Goldsmith, M. Peters,
- CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 1:11 PM.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
S. Fry announced that the CALL was sent out and people have received
it. The updated salary schedule was sent out on LAUCTALK. ACTION: Steve
will send out two more reminders for the meeting on the CALL for new
librarians, which will be held on December 19.
H. Walker announced that the next ORION2 "What's Up"
meeting will be 2-3 PM on December 17 in the Korn Convocation Hall,
K. Botello announced that there has been a change
in the roster of the Ad Hoc Committee on Peer Review Documentation:
Russell Johnson replaced Elaine Adams who is on medical leave.
K. Botello announced that the statewide LAUC passed
a resolution regarding APM 360, but it was not entirely the text LAUC-LA
representatives proposed. This is the resolution that passed:
WHEREAS the University Librarians have requested
that steps be added to the librarian rank, and LAUC is currently reviewing
the addition of steps to the librarian series;
BE IT RESOLVED that LAUC opposes the language proposed
for APM 360-18 section c.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Set Board meeting calendar
The next Board meeting will be on Wednesday, January 14, 1998, 1-3
PM. Tentatively, the Board agreed to meet on February 4, and will
try to keep every other Wednesday afternoon available.
- Set Goals for 1997-98 year
K. Botello reported that at the statewide LAUC division chairs meeting
on November 20, during a round robin discussion, all but one campus
reported having issues with the CALL and peer review. Issues included:
stipends, the distinguished librarian step, bifurcation, and streamlining
the peer review process. Based on that discussion, Lucia Snowhill
charged each division to come up with ideas for peer review agenda
items for their March board meeting. ACTION: Keri will ask Lucia
for a more specific charge. Discussion ensued on whether the LAUC-LA
board should charge the Professional Governance Committee to itemize
peer review issues in consultation with the Board. The Board decided
that LAUC-LA will host a special meeting of the membership by the
end of January to discuss peer review issues. Then if the Professional
Governance Committee needs to do anything, they will have time before
the March statewide board meeting. ACTION: Steve offered to check
the availability of the Green Room in Schoenberg Hall, and if it's
not available, the downstairs lounge in the Faculty Center. The
Board agreed not to spend more than $100 on room rental and light
S. Fry suggested a separate program on the stipends
decision so that librarians have a clear understanding of its ramifications.
Three out of the nine campuses have decided to implement it, including
UCLA. It was suggested that an open forum, with a panel including
Gloria Werner, Miki Goral, and EVC Kennel, could discuss such issues
as, budget ramifications, and whether a librarian who receives a
stipend is eligible to serve on peer review committees. The Board
decided to wait on pursing this program idea until after its meeting
Another program was suggested, the goal of which
would be to disseminate in a more consistent and widespread way,
all of the technological changes that are happening, which affects
the way we operate. This could include the California Digital Library,
the UC/Stanford Electronic Government Information Initiative Group
(EGIIG), and the Library of California projects. Possible speakers
include Barbara Will and Richard Lucier. ACTION: Keri will talk
to Ruby Bell-Gam, Chair of the Programs Committee about setting
up such a program.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Statewide Fall Assembly Follow-up
S. Fry reported that he thought the speakers were unfamiliar as
to what librarians do. J. Goldsmith agreed with Steve, as well as
pointed out that not enough time was allotted to discuss the LAUC-LA
resolution. At the time, they did not know about Lucia Snowhill's
letter to Ellen Switkes which reiterated our resolution. Representatives
at the meeting did not accept the text of our resolution and drafted
a modified resolution (see K. Botello's announcement above). ACTION:
Keri will send out Lucia's letter to Ellen Switkes and the text
of the resolution that was passed on LAUCTALK
- Meeting with Gloria Werner ACTION: Keri will book a meeting
with Gloria and the Board to discuss the issues raised by the membership
at the Fall assembly. She will see if Gloria is available early
next week or in early January.
- By-Laws change for 1998 ballot The Board reviewed year-end
report of the Committee on Professional Governance. The Committee
still has to submit its final recommendations, the Board has to
accept it, and put it on the agenda for the Spring membership meeting.
Next, the Elections Committee has to incorporate the wording in
to their ballot, then membership has to vote on it. ACTION: Keri
will review the elections calendar.
ACTION: Keri will talk to Ruby Bell-Gam, chair of the Programs Committee,
to schedule the LAUC-LA Spring assembly prior to May 1, which is the
date of the Statewide Assembly in San Diego.
The meeting adjourned at 2:50 PM.