|LAUC-LA Home | Meeting Minutes | 07-07 (April 17, 2007)|
LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting 07-07
LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting (07-07)
Present: Keri Botello, Debe Costa, Miki Goral, Andrea Lynch, Michael Oppenheim, Maureen Russell (Chair), Heidi Sandstrom, Libbie Stephenson, Deborah Whiteman, Kristen Wilson (recorder)
1. Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m.
2. Agenda review and announcements
The agenda remained unchanged.
3. Substitute Secretary's report (Lynch)
The minutes of the March 20, 2007 meeting were approved with minor corrections.
4. Chair's report (Russell)
Maureen reported that Gary Strong may be available to attend the May meeting. She will not be able to attend the May 30 Statewide LAUC meeting in order to staff her unit, but Miki, Deborah, Debe, and Heidi will be attending. A reminder has been sent to the committee chairs to prepare their mid-year reports, and Maureen will write the agenda for the May 14 LAUC-LA Spring Assembly.
Maureen will attend next week’s meeting of the Academic Senate Committee on the Library, and she reminded the board to relay to her any comments or suggestions that would be appropriate to bring to the committee meetings. There was a suggestion that she mention the issue of limited access for librarians to the Kinross South building (no weekend access and fixed daytime hours), but after discussion, it was decided this was an operations issue and not one to be brought to the committee. Maureen reported that at the last meeting, the committee discussed writing a letter about the Library to the incoming chancellor.
5. Vice Chair's report (Sandstrom)
Heidi reported on her role as chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Mentoring. The committee has drafted a survey on mentoring which they plan to host on an online survey site and distribute to the LAUC membership. The board reviewed the questions and made suggestions. When the questions are finalized, Maureen will send them to the chair of the Academic Senate Committee on the Library as an fyi. The committee hopes to organize a special event in January to tie in with Mentoring Month. Maureen asked Heidi if she felt the chairship of this committee would be a good one to assign to the Vice Chair if the committee is made permanent, and she said it would be.
6. Committee reports
* Committee on Library Plans and Policies (Oppenheim)
Nothing to report.
* Committee on Professional Governance (Botello)
The committee met April 12 and discussed offering assistance to David Gilbert with the statewide committee. He said that the committee had things in hand but would get help from them if necessary. There is discussion at the statewide level regarding current standing committee structure, including a merger of the Committee on Professional Governance and theCommittee on Committees, Rules, and Jurisdictions at the statewide level.
* Committee on Research and Professional Development (Stephenson)
Libbie reported on a clarification of an issue that had come up with LAUC statewide grants. Grants are allowed to be used to pay for a replacement for the grantee while she or he takes time to work on another project. However, all grants are subject to approval by the head of the applicant’s unit and library and by the University Librarian and a plan for grantee replacement may be rejected if, for instance, several librarians in a unit will be absent at the same time or there are other timing issues. The committee plans to write an FAQ about the application process encouraging applicants to discuss their plans with their unit and/or library head so that such issues can be anticipated. Gary will be asked to review the FAQ.
Libbie also reported that the tally of which LAUC members have spend their professional development money and how much money has been allocated by the Library for professional development is forthcoming and will be presented to the Board.
CAPA is working away but may miss the April 30 deadline for getting all the material in because of the great amount of work to be done. It’s been difficult getting busy librarians to commit to serving on ad hoc committees. Miki suggested codifying in the procedures a practical way of organizing committees – grouping people by times they are available to meet. CAPA is waiting for the dedicated laptop the Library has promised to purchase.
7. Other business
There was no other business to report.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:30 p.m.
Updated: November 18, 2009
Contact LAUC-LA Webmaster