|LAUC-LA Home | Meeting Minutes | 06-03 (December 20, 2005)|
LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting 06-03
Tuesday, December 20, 2005, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Present: Keri Botello, David Cappoli, Debe Costa (Chair), Kris Kasianovitz, Cynthia Lewis (Recorder) , Aura Lippincott, Diane Mizrachi, Maureen Russell, Ken Wade. Absent: Janet Carter, Miki Goral, Hannah Walker
1. Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 1:08 p.m.
2. Agenda review and announcements
Debe let everyone know that Gary Strong might stop by the meeting.
3. Secretary’s Report
-Review and approval of the September 20 th Executive Board minutes
The minutes of the October 18th Executive Board meeting were approved without exception.
4. Chair's report (Costa)
Debe began with highlights from the panel discussion Managing Intellectual Property IP issues. The session was well attended with over 100 present. Librarians were invited for the main talk, and then the faculty continued with break out sessions. Debe’s sense was that this was very illuminating for the faculty, especially regarding issues of who actually owns an article. The content is often licensed to the publisher and not to the author. Kris mentioned the importance that open access journals play in this issue. The presentation was videotaped, and the material can be viewed on the library website at http://www2.library.ucla.edu/symposium/ .
Following are the full minutes from the Academic Senate Committee on Library:
Debe moved on to discuss the Library Strategic Plan. She urged Executive Board members to read the document carefully. In our role as an advisory board, we will discuss the plan at our next meeting. A decision was made to host a LAUC-LA brown bag discussion to see if there are issues of concern to LAUC-LA members.
At this point, Debe called for an Executive session.
5. LAUC Assembly, Santa Cruz (Kasianovitz, Lippincott)
Kris and Aura reported on the Assembly. The meeting began with formal business and then there were break out sessions on Enabling Technologies for LAUC and Discussion of Report from Committee on Committees, Rules, and Jurisdiction and Proposed Bylaws/Standing Rules.
Highlights from the President’s Report:
Standing Committees – there are approximately 56-60 people in Standing Committees, however at any given time, a number of these groups are not “active” or have specific work to complete. How can we better utilize these people for LAUC work? Should we rethink the committee structure, which ties in with the importance of the Bylaws discussion/work.
Open Access – Starting and Open Access Journal for LAUC in the area of Library Science has been researched. Due to various costs and managing a publication, it was decided that pursuing a journal at this time is not feasible. However, LAUC should still pursue a way to capture its scholarly output. E-scholar and SAKAI were mentioned.
Challenge of conducting LAUC business – how can we use technology to make this easier? LAUC web site exists, but it is very difficult to locate information, have to know structure, who did what, in order to find reports and information. Are there ways to better/different ways to deploy the operating budget (each campus sends up to 5 people to a meeting.) We devoted a good portion of the morning session to discussing this issue.
UL’s Meeting – UL did an exercise to define priorities:
For the full President’s Report, please see: http://www.ucop.edu/lauc/president/fallreport05.html
LAUC Committee Report Highlights :
Nominating Committee – Terry Huwe:
The election calendar is on the LAUC web site. They are searching for candidates – so consider a position or consider a colleague for one.
Research and Professional Development – Lise Snyder:
Grant application documents will be available on the web site in January. Note: There is a new report to be filled out by grant recipients.
The committee has another charge to look at creating space on eScholarship to post completed LAUC grant projects; how will the editorial structure be set up; who will do this? UL’s supported this idea:
Committee on Rules and Jurisdiction – P. Weiss
Committee on Instructional Roles of Librarians – K. Lucas:
Still working; talked about how much instruction/what kind of instruction. How big/controversial is this issues at the UCs?
Representative Reports :
For full reports, please see links from the agenda: http://www.ucop.edu/lauc/assembly/assemblyfallagenda2005.html
Scholarly Communication – Janet Carter:
There are 5 white papers being written by faculty members who are on Academic Senate about scholarly communication. They will be released in December and we will have two months to review, with a potential for discussion and adoption at the Spring Assembly.
The question was raised about whether or not each campus has a copyright or intellectual property office for faculty to consult when issues arise. Will the group look at this issue and identify what each campus has? Should campuses have Scholarly Communication Committees?
Jenny asked if anyone had questions for her to take back:
Could reports about the librarian series also break down by ethnicity?
Are costs for medical and dental benefits going up significantly?
[At this point, Gary Strong stepped into the LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting. He let everyone know that there will be an all staff meeting to discuss the Library Strategic Plan on Monday January 9 th in the California Room at the Faculty Center. He wished everyone happy holidays and left. The Executive Board decided to schedule a brown bag discussion about the Library Strategic Plan for Friday, January 6 th in the Green Room in Schoenberg. ]
Back to the LAUC Fall Assembly report…
The afternoon was devoted to break out discussion groups.
The first topic was Enabling Technologies for LAUC. Break out groups dealt with the following topics:
Break out groups were instructed to talk about positive and negative experiences related to their topic, and then each group was to talk about tangible methods/technologies to help improve the situation. The methods/technologies were recorded and presented back to the entire group. After the presentations, attendees voted for the top 5 suggestions. (See below for results.)
The second breakout discussion topic was the Discussion of Report from Committee on Committees, Rules, and Jurisdiction and Proposed Bylaws/Standing Rules.
Each group was given a specific section to discuss. Each group was asked to either agree with the changes as they stand, disagree, or agree with revisions. The groups were given 20 minutes.
There was a motion to split standing rules and the bylaws and then look at the bylaws by themselves. Another suggestion was to accept everything or vote everything down.
Debe then reported on the LAUC Fall Assembly, Executive Board Meeting.
Lise and Jenny met with the ULs. The underlying question from the ULs was why is LAUC doing this? And the other message was do not touch anything that has to do with the Academic Personnel Manual.
From the enabling technology discussion, the votes for how to proceed broke down like this:
18 would like to see an orientation for new LAUC members.
Jenny will ask for an Ad Hoc Committee to investigate these issues with the goal of creating a toolkit of technologies which would support having a place to store working documents and orientation components, etc.
LAUC Executive Board Bylaws Discussion
Three conclusions seem to have come out of the bylaws discussion:
It is hard to drum up charges for standing committees so we should take out the mention of any committees. If we need a committee, we should create ad hoc committees as needed.
We should keep the standing committees but put the housekeeping in the standing rules.
Keep the proposed bylaws as they are.
The result was to take the committees out of the bylaws and create standing rules.
For more information on the LAUC Fall Assembly, including full reports, please visit: http://www.ucop.edu/lauc/assembly/assemblyfallagenda2005.html
6. Committee reports
-Committee on Library Plans and Policies ( Walker)
-Committee on Professional Governance (Wade)
Ken reported that he welcomed the members of the committee, but there isn’t a committee charge yet.
-Committee on Research and Professional Development (Mizrachi)
Diane mentioned that the statewide call has been issued. She had hoped to offer a brown bag for librarians interested in applying, but the timing is too close. So the committee will hold a brown bag in the late spring to generate interest for next year. The committee also discussed whether members of the committee can act as mentors for applicants as it is a conflict of interest. Diane also noted that the deadline for the mini-grants has changed.
-Committee on Programs (Cappoli)
David reported the following:
Proposed Programs and Activities:
-CAPA Update (Botello)
Since the last LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting, the following CAPA activities have taken place:
CAPA has met on Wednesdays from 1 – 3 pm to discuss activities/process/procedures for the upcoming year.
On November 21, members of CAPA who were Peer Review Committee members during the 2004 – 05 review cycle attended the Peer Review Debriefing meeting with the University Librarian.
On November 28, members of CAPA attended the Peer Review Documentation Workshop for the 2005 -06 review cycle.
On November 30, all members of CAPA met with the University Librarian and the Director of Library Human Resources for a CAPA Orientation. After this meeting, CAPA will review all upcoming appointments to the Librarian Series.
On December 2 nd, members of CAPA attended the Review Initiator’s Workshop.
CAPA has issued “CAPA Capsules” via LAUCtalk. The purpose of the alerts to librarians is to provide information/clarification about the peer review process now that we have adopted our new structure. It is CAPA’s intent to continue posting these messages periodically as the cycle progresses.
CAPA has reviewed one appointment and forwarded its recommendation to the University Librarian. There is an expectation that more appointments will come through.
8. Task Force to Investigate LAUC-LA Diversity Task Force (Costa)
Debe asked for comments on the charge to the LAUC-LA Diversity Task Force. It was suggested that the task force be given a set deadline for the upcoming fall. Debe suggested that she will ask for a mid-year report and a final report will be due for the Fall Assembly.
9. Other Business
There was discussion about a mentoring program. For example, Irvine has a mentoring group for new librarians. Debe will call for a task force to investigate this question. We are facing a large number of retirements, so there will be more new librarians on campus. There used to be a formal program of campus tours with LSA. LAUC-LA might ask for a focus group of newer librarians to see what they need – orientation vs. mentoring. The Program Committee might be the group to handle this.
The meeting adjourned at 3:04 p.m. without objection.
Enormous thanks to Debe, Kris, David and Keri for submitting their notes.
Updated: November 18, 2009
Contact LAUC-LA Webmaster