|LAUC-LA Home | Meeting Minutes | 06-02 (October 18, 2005)|
LAUC-LA Executive Board Meeting 06-02
LAUC-LA Executive Board 06-02
resent: David Cappoli, Janet Carter , Debe Costa (Chair), Miki Goral, Kris Kasianovitz, Cynthia Lewis (Recorder) , Aura Lippincott, Maureen Russell, Ken Wade, Hannah Walker. Absent: Keri Botello, Diane Mizrachi
1. Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 1:14p.m.
2. Agenda review and announcements
Debe let everyone know that the local and statewide committee memberships have been finalized and notifications have gone out.
Debe asked if there should be a Local Arrangements Committee for the Fall Membership Meeting. Because there isn’t a Peer Review Committee, more people may want opportunities to participate in LAUC-LA activities. So a Local Arrangements Committee might be a good alternative for people.
Miki announced a special program that is being offered at YRL, "Visionaries in the Academy: Women of Color at UCLA." Please see: http://www.library.ucla.edu/yrl/urlexhibits/index.html for information about the events. The Board discussed some of the other opportunities for publicizing events such as: My UCLA, What’s Bruin, UCLA Today, and the UCLA Campus Calendar.
3. Secretary’s Report
-Review and approval of the September 20 th Executive Board minutes
After noting a couple of corrections, the minutes of the September 20 th Executive Board meeting were approved.
4. Vice-Chair's report (Russell)
No Vice-Chair’s report. The Board discussed how there are appointments in the pipeline, so a Peer Review Committee(s) will have to be convened.
5. Chair’s report (Costa)
Debe receives the Management Council Minutes. After discussion about whether those minutes should be forwarded to LAUCTalk, Debe will start forwarding the minutes to the Executive Board. The Board discussed the new draft Funding and Travel Policy as well as the Request for Leave/Funding Support form. Board members had different versions of the policy and forms, and there was a desire for the drafts to have dates on them. There was also discussion about how some are already using the forms even thought they have not been approved yet. Some units have not been using the earlier version of the form. There was agreement that the forms should be used especially given that something could happen to someone while on a work related trip. Having the completed forms helps with workers’ compensation issues, etc. There was some concern about the language in the policy about how approvals are granted. Some funding is contractually mandated. Also, there are other funding sources, e.g. specialized endowments, which are outside the Library. There will be training sessions once the new policies and forms are finalized. One set of trainings will be for the Library Assistants and a second set of trainings will be geared for Librarians.
Debe confirmed the Fall Membership Meeting which will be held in the Library Conference Center in YRL on Wednesday, November 16 th from 1:00 – 4:00. The New Librarians Reception will follow.
Debe reported on the October 11, 2005 meeting of the Academic Senate Committee on the Library. This was the first meeting of the academic year, and the committee membership changed as a result. For a complete listing of Academic Senate Committee on the Library, please see: http://www.senate.ucla.edu/committee/library/Library_members.htm .
The committee went over last year’s agenda. For this year, the committee is concerned about: access for the visually impaired and wheelchair access; wireless access; UC subscriptions and buying power; and purchasing more monographs.
Gary Strong and Susan Parker made a presentation about Google Scholar and Google Print. They also handed out a draft of the Library Strategic Plan in order to receive feedback from the Academic Senate Committee on the Library before the plan is due to the Chancellor on November 16 th.
Gary Strong and Susan Parker also announced the upcoming Library symposium for the faculty entitled “Managing Intellectual Property: What Faculty Need to Know to Publish and Teach in the Digital Age” to be held on Friday, November 18 th at 8:30 at the Faculty Center.
The LAUC-LA Executive Board discussed LAUC’s opportunity for giving feedback on the Library Strategic Plan.
Debe reported that the LAUC-LA committee assignments are complete.
6. Committee reports
David also answered a question about how folks can obtain funding for programs by saying that all people need to do is ask. Last year the committee overspent by about $200.00, most likely due to having to pay the phone bills for the LAUC-LA phone.
David again urged the Board to identify a date for the Spring Membership Meeting. May 16 th, May 25 th and May 30 th are all possibilities. David needs to be able to let Gary Strong know the date.
7. CAPA Update (Goral)
CAPA will be hosting the Peer Review Documentation and Review Initiator Workshops. The workshops will highlight the updated procedures.
There was also discussion about the procedures for setting up Ad Hoc Committees. The CAPA Chair or Vice Chair will appoint the Ad Hoc Committees, and the membership of the Ad Hoc Committees will still be confidential. CAPA cannot begin its official work until they have undergone Orientation with Pat Hawthorne and Gary Stong, which will take place on November 30.
8. Task Force to Investigate LAUC-LA Diversity Task Force (Costa)
Debe reported that she has talked to people about the task force, but no one has been assigned yet. The task force will be asked to focus on LAUC and see how other campuses handle search committees and diversity issues.
9. Other Business
The Board divided up responsibilities for monitoring the LAUC activities on other campus websites.
The Board discussed the importance of LAUC-LA’s involvement in library operations and urged everyone to be aware of ways in which LAUC-LA can and should be participating.
The meeting adjourned at 3:11 p.m.
Updated: November 18, 2009
Contact LAUC-LA Webmaster